Vitamin D, also known as the sunshine vitamin, can be produced in the body with mild sun exposure or consumed in food or supplements.
Adequate vitamin D intake is important for the regulation ofcalcium and phosphorus absorption, maintenance of healthy bones and teeth, and is suggested to supply a protective effect against multiple diseases and conditions such as cancer, type 1 diabetes and multiple sclerosis.
According medical news today, Vitamin D has multiple roles in the body, helping to:
- Maintain the health of bones and teeth
- Support the health of the immune system, brain and nervous system
- Regulate insulin levels and aid diabetes management
- Support lung function and cardiovascular health
- Influence the expression of genes involved in cancer development.
Below 8 Signs You Need to Be Getting More Vitamin D:
Decreased muscular size can be the result of not enough vitamin D in muscle and nerve tissue, says Kimberly Mueller, R.D., owner of Fuel Factor Nutrition Coaching. So if you notice that you can’t eek out the same number of reps you’ve always done, that may be a sign you need more vitamin D.